Category: Vacation homes
Five ways to clean for your boat or camper using vinegar
Tips for cleaning your campsite as you go
- Broom, dust pan and brush
- Green, biodegradable dish soap, tea towels, washing up brush and a sponge.
- Biodegradable hand soap and hand towels
- Wet wipes (for cleaning the body and for cleaning surfaces) and hand sanitizer
- Barbecue cleaning brush and utensils.
- A 5 gallon jug with a tap and a dish tub – set up the jug on the edge of the picnic table, and the tub on the bench underneath the spigot, for an instant kitchen sink, perfect for cleaning dishes or muddy hands!
How to keep your barbecue clean so it’s always ready for your next party
How a security check can help reduce your vacation home insurance premium
Most insurance companies now require a signed report showing that an empty vacation home has been checked once or twice a month during the off-season.
Goldstar cleaning crews will combine their housekeeping visit with an insurance security check, and record the date, time, and results of their visit so you can send a clear record to your insurance company.
This means you get to enjoy your vacation time without worrying about cleaning – and it could save your house insurance premiums from rocketing if you need to claim repairs.
Goldstar cleaning crews routinely check for:
• Open or unlocked windows and doors all around the building
• Signs of an attempted break-in or vandalism
• Lights or appliances that have accidentally been left on, causing high energy bills and a risk of fire.
• Broken or incorrectly programmed heating systems, which could cause your pipes to freeze in winter
• Sounds or signs that there might be a water leak or damage
• Early signs of rodent or pest infestation
• Flush each toilet and scrub the water line to avoid build-up of limescale
• Check all lights to make sure no bulbs have blown
• Can carry out deep cleaning tasks, such as carpet or furniture steam cleaning
Goldstar owner Jill Barclay has seen firsthand the damage that can be caused by a small problem that is left unnoticed for weeks.
“I knew one client who started using our services after a pipe in their basement burst, causing thousands of dollars of damage.
“When they last visited the home it would only have been a small drip in the water filtration system that they didn’t notice, but during the summer the pipe burst, flooding the entire basement.
“Unfortunately because they hadn’t used any kind of security check contingency plan, the insurance was cancelled and they had to cover the huge cost of the damage themselves.”
Rental peace of mind
When you rent out your vacation home, it’s particularly important to make sure everything is in good shape before your renters get there, says Jill.
“At another of our client’s homes, snow had piled up against a plexi glass barrier around the deck, causing it to shatter and making it unsafe to use.
“We came round to check the vacation home ahead of a rental, and were able to clean it up and get it replaced before the renters got there, which meant the owners didn’t have to cancel the booking or deal with poor reviews of their rental vacation home.”
Contact Goldstar now to arrange for a personalized quote to clean and check your home.